Wednesday 6 February 2013

YOLO





What can be said about this topic, other than it has been completely hacked to death by ignorant Internet users and hormonal teenagers. I had originally planned on making a series on the common pitfalls of modern rap culture, but I have decided to take the bull by the horns. I have decided to tackle the horrors that have plagued us from the entity that is; 'POP CULTURE.'

Now I'm not one to shake a stick at some of the fads that have been going around, seeing as I am the proud owner of several Justin Bieber and Selena Gomez posters and songs. I am also an avid reader and sometimes sample the waters of www.hollywoodlife.com

Gone are the days when 'YOLO' was considered an empowering battle cry on the um...battlements. Nowadays, thanks to the likes of Drake and his 'highly intelligent' lyricists at YoungMoney Entertainment, the phrase 'You Only Live Once, that's the motto nigga YOLO' has been butchered by the brain dead youth of today. For instance, a few years ago the term 'YOLO' would have been said by a soldier coming back from the war; hair flowing all dramatically in the wind, face all sweaty and bruised, clutching a heavy olive helmet and walking in away from an exploding helicopter...in SLOW MOTION. *stares dreamily off into space, then realises that you're all watching me and then jumps onto chair, yelling out conspiracy theories and transforms into Ryuk from 'Death Note.'*

Anyway, nowadays, the mindless generation has translated this once relevant motto into a pathetic excuse for doing stupid stuff. For example, let us take the situation of teenage pregnancy as a result of one-too-many beers. This is one subject that kills me to this very day. How can we, as young women, degrade ourselves to the level that we can be compared to lesser beings? (like whores and floozies) Haven't we come too far to simply let our emotions towards the handsome, ripped jock that you tutor in math let loose after a few shots of vodka?! And you too men! Haven't you learnt from your thousands of lessons in primary school; that you can't pop a wheelie on a motorcycle...backwards...blindfolded...seriously?!

I am sick of hearing how having sex at the age of 12 is considered 'living life before I die, my nigga!' Honestly, can't we all just be a little more sensible about this? Why do I always hear stuff like, "I just got totally wasted at this party man and woke up with like 5 chicks in my bed. YOLO!"
Or; "I just crashed my dad's car into the DMV building then got chased by the cops. YOLO!"

Why can't I hear stuff like; "I just volunteered at a homeless shelter this weekend. YOLO."
OR; "I am flying to Somalia next week to assist in the rebuilding of houses. YOLO."

My point is, why can't we as human beings feel compelled to help others while using this term. Instead, thanks to Drake, our younger generation has been corrupted with this motto.

'I feel like I may be misunderstood...or maybe just unloved...'
                                                          - anonymous

No comments:

Post a Comment