Tuesday 2 September 2014

Make Me White

On a recent expedition to the "ever-present-Indian-owned-herbal-store" with my mum, I came across an expansive range of skin-whitening products. I didn't think to take pictures of the products for fear of being accused of trying to steal the formula and recreating the products at home. Anyway, it made me recall a note I made in one of my recent posts. If I remember correctly, I vowed to start lightening my obscenely dark hands and face due to my own paranoia/insecurity. I would just like to rectify that.

Firstly, I hate my dark shin and I don't want to divulge too deeply into why that is. I reckon if I had the money, I would attempt that experiment that that Indian lady did on the BBC. She basically tried all these different skin-lightening products to see to what extent they actually worked. She found that most of them that didn't use the illegal chemicals actually didn't lighten your skin very much.

Secondly, I'm not going to actually buy those skin-lightening products. I view them as impractical and painting an unhealthy image of how lighter skin is best. 

Thirdly, I know that I'm walking contradiction but I'm just being real. In any case, I'm using natural products to achieve a healthy coco-brown glow, as dark as I am. I'm actually using these products to get rid of dark marks left by blemishes and pinching boys. So far I've used yogurt, turmeric, honey, oatmeal, sugar and lemons to attempt to even out the dark blemishes left on my face. So far, they haven't worked but I'll keep you posted. 



No comments:

Post a Comment