Saturday 20 April 2013

My Top 10: Places to visit

Okay, so I have a list of cities that I have been dying to visit. These places may not be beautiful or worth visiting in the eyes of westerners and other people, but dammit they're good enough for me. In no way am I telling people to go out and visit them as some of these cities are in war-torn countries or countries under a strict regime. So please under no circumstances must you take my list too literally. It's just my own opinion so don't get offended.

10. Cape Town, South Africa




Ah, sun, sand and shells. What more could I ask for? Granted, I'm more of a home-body and prefer staying indoors in front of the computer but a little sunshine never hurt anyone. (Except vampires...*ahhh! It BURNS!*). I'd probably rent a place near the beach and walk across the sand every morning, while listening to Metric. Maybe I'd hire a scooter and just go around town taking in the sites, smells and cultures. The colourful houses in Bo-Kaap; the Castle of Good Hope; Robben Island; Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens; Rhodes Memorial; South African Parliament; Two Oceans Aquarium; the Victoria and Alfred Waterfront; and the countless numbers of museums and performing arts theatres in the area. Let's not forget the ultimate go-see: Table Mountain. Of course Cape Town also has its fair share of crime and when going on vacation there, it's best to not appear too tourist-y. The only reason why it's not any higher up on the list is because it is always awash with holiday makers yearly. 


9. Zanzibar, Tanzania


My uncle and his wife and daughter went here last year. If I were to go there I would definitely visit the beach. After procrastinating in the water, I would take a kayak with a group of friends and procrastinate somewhere. Visit the Jozani Forest and stare at trees and pose with the Red Colobus monkeys. I'm a big fanatic of spices so I would definitely visit the Spice Island and try my hand at improving my roast chicken. Souvenirs from Stone Town plus the historical sites there's such as The House of Wonders and The Arab Fort are also on my list. Zanzibar is famous for having the world's shortest war; they surrendered to Britain after only 38 minutes of naval bombardment. If you're not too chicken the try local cuisine such as the Kidude. The Fahari Zanzibar is a great place to buy high quality accessories as well as providing income for the women working there. Since Zanzibar has a predominately Muslim community, certain measures must be taken to ensure respect such as; 
  • Women and men should make an effort to cover their arms and legs
  • It is regarded as disrespectful to show public attention
  • Be discreet when drinking alcohol
  • During Ramadan, the month of fasting, travellers should avoid eating and drinking publicly during the daytime. Also, don't smoke in front of people or chew gum and it is polite to avoid talking about the nice lunch you had.

8. Okavango Delta, Botswana 


What more can I say. It's in my home country and probably one of the most beautiful places in Africa.  The Delta is filled with a range of gorgeous wildlife and waterways. The Tsodilo Hills contain 4500 rock paintings. Boat rides on the river, safaris and wildlife rides :). Although being relatively safe, there are quite a few dangerous animals here but tourist attacks are very rare. Malaria can be present here so it is best to take extra precaution.

7. Cairo, Egypt


Cairo, Egypt, Roof tops of the city
Despite the sometimes present violent protests, Cairo is still on my favourite locations. From the Pyramids of Giza and the Sphinx to Coptic Museum and the Al-Ahzar Mosque; there are definitely a lot of historical sites to take in. One can ride a felluca along the Nile River and are available across the Four Seasons Hotel in Garden City. Be warned, they play loud Arabic music so if you're not a fan it's best to keep your mouth. The Giza Zoo is one of the oldest in the world; about 100 years old! During your downtime you can visit the Cairo Botanical Gardens or take a tour of the Egyptian TV drama sets. I don't know about you guys, but I would definitely try out the local cuisine. Dishes such as fatir, falafel, shawarma and kushari. For health reasons, it is unsafe to drink tap water. Other than that I'd say that Egypt is a definite must-see. Keep in mind that it is a predominantly Muslim population so act appropriately. Greet people with "Es-Salāmu-`Alēku"  and behave and dress appropriately when visiting mosques and avoid extra PDA e.g. making out in public. A kiss on the cheek by men to other men is not seen as having sexual connotations but gay/lesbian displays are forbidden.

6. Paris, France


No explanation really needed here. I mean who doesn't want to visit France?! Unless maybe you were Frechphobic or Europhobic...My mummy went there last year for a business conference and I was super envious. She got me a bunch of art supplies so I was still pleased in the end though.With the Eiffel Towel, Arc de Triomphe, Chateau de Versailles, Notre Dame Cathedral you'll never have a dull moment. Of course, the trip could prove fruitful if you want to get on your French teacher's good side! The French people, as with any foreign language country will appreciate it greatly if you make a concentrated effort to learn their language. Stuff is expensive in France and beware con-artists and pickpockets in crowded areas or regular tourist attractions.

5. Hargeisa, Somaliland

 

Okay okay okay, i know what you're thinking; 'SOMALIA?! Of all places-are you insane?!' Well maybe I am. In recent months I have garnered interest in Somalia and Islam as a whole. It's not like I want to convert or anything, no, I am proudly Christian under the highly strict denomination of Roman Catholicism but that's for another day. Anyway, I really like Somalia. Don't ask me how or why but whenever I hear the word Somalia my heart skips a beat and I am instantly interested. It has a diverse history of trade relations and it's relationship with other countries in the Horn of Africa. I wish to one travel to Somalia once the situation clears up but the de facto Somaliland is actually much safer than Somalia itself. Somalia has beautiful beaches and generally friendly people. Locals will be impressed and pleased if you learn a few  words in Somali or Arabic, the two main languages.  As of today, Somaliland is still not noticed as an independent country despite having separated from Somalia after the fall of President Siad Barre in 1991. I honestly think that I will have a better chance of visiting Hargeisa, Somaliland sooner rather than visiting Somalia. Anyway...love this country and I hope the situation improves and those rebels get the f*** on!

4. Addis Ababa, Ethiopia


Beautiful place. Beautiful people. Africa. I  noticed that most of my top 10 are in Africa, so perhaps I'm being a bit biased but dammit there's so much of my continent to explore so screw you! Anyway, Ethiopia is one of the oldest countries in the world and one of the few African countries to not be colonized  It is believed to be the beginning of mankind and the second-oldest Christian nation, after Armenia. I suppose one should visit the Ethiopian National Museum and the countless historic churches such as St. George's Cathedral. Definitely try some of the local cuisine and food is relatively cheap. Addis Ababa is quite safe, save for a few pickpockets and con artists who target tourists and gang violence is rare. Ethiopians are very beautiful so I suppose one can be forgiven for staring a bit. The same can be applied to other Horn Africans but I am in no means discriminating I'm just saying that people from this region are quite attractive. No hate, One love :) 

3. Havana, Cuba


Cuba. The sights, smells and the people. Seriously, my mum works with a Cuban woman and she is very theatrical and expressive and always yelling something in Spanish. There are so many beautiful places to visit such as the Plaza de Armas, the sea the Tropicana Show.Cuba has got a great music scene and one can come across restaurants with a band playing there. It's quite safe for a large city but prison sentences for tourists are quite harsh and there is a present prostitution scene. Don't forget to try Cuba's world famous cigars and it's diverse array of food. The more pricey restaurants may burn a hole in your wallet but they have a great atmosphere. Cubans are friendly and helpful people.

2. Rio de Janeiro, Brazil


I think that I mostly want to visit Rio for the carnival, and the beaches...and of course the amazing 'Christ The Redeemer' statue and Sugar Loaf Mountain. Unfortunately, recently Rio has only become known due to its slums, drug lords and violent crime. There are no nude beaches in Rio, so calm yourselves! Remember, it's rude to stare ;) 

1. Tokyo, Japan


Well no big shocker here. I have been in love with Japan and Japanese culture since I can remember. I missed out a great opportunity to go to Japan on exchange this term and I still kick myself every time I see Facebook pictures of my schoolmates who went there. Anyway, I suppose that I would definitely take a tour of the Meiji Shrine, Asakusa temple the Roppongi Hills. Mt. Fuji, touring a traditional tea garden, shopping Ginza and hanging out in Akihabara with all my fellow otakus. I would attend a cosplay event and visit Harajuku and of course, eat sushi for breakfast despite the fact that I hate fish. One should visit the amusement parks, take a boat ride on the Sumida River, take a stroll in the Imperial Palace's East Garden and have a picnic in the park during the cherry blossom (Sakura).

No comments:

Post a Comment