Thursday 25 July 2013

Somalia


Words cannot describe the love I have for this country and its people. I truly believe that they are the most delicate and beautiful people I have ever seen. Their culture is interesting, rich and so diverse! That is exactly why I chose to emulate their culture and the cultures of Eritrea and Ethiopia in my school art project. I have the utmost respect for Somalia and I have a somewhat deep connection to this place. Whenever anything comes up to do with Somalia, my ears prick up and I am ready to defend it. I decided to compose a short poem-letter thingy to convey my emotions. I hope you like :) and if any Somalis visit my blog because of this then that's fantastic!

***     
Rise oh glorious nation!
Rise above the horrors and evil.
Shine oh glorious nation!
Shine and be like a beacon to all the world.

I pray to Allah that you heal
That you be healed of all the pain and suffering that has been cast upon you
I pray that he rids you of militants
That the bullet showers that light the skies at night
Will disappear in a flash of light
That he brings peace and stability to this nation
I pray that he caves this generation
That he guides you to salvation.
So please, soldiers, put down your weapons
And let us draw our hands together in prayer
Let us cease from spraying bullets
And concentrate on our children.
Let us build schools for them and not oppress them
Let us love them and never abuse them
Let us care for them and not mutilate them.

Spare our women from the blade and from the scourge of rape
Let us learn how to get along and love each other for who they are.

I celebrate your wisdom, your people and their love of Islam
I celebrate your culture and how you the country that you're from
I celebrate that you are a Nation of Poets
That your words themselves are bullets
That fight against all evil
That keep the youth sane
That let them express what's going on in their brain

So let the youth scream and shout and rejoice
Let the words and rhymes flow from their lips
I pray for peace and stability
I pray that one day all the lands that were under Somalia will all be unified
I pray that all Somalis will speak of their country with pride

So peace be upon you, Somalia and all your people
I pray that Somalis around the world enjoy a peaceful Ramadan.

:)
                                           

No comments:

Post a Comment